Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pillow Case Back Packs and VBS

It's been one of those weeks. I have been going non-stop Monday through Today and I am worn out!
One of my biggest jobs right now is planning for VBS (Vacation Bible School). We are doing the Sonrise National Park theme at my new church and I'm loving it. I have the Park ranger outfit all ready to go and hiking boots...etc. Now I'm just looking for good ways to decorate my room. I have already come up with a few ideas for bunting banners, wall decorations and such...but my biggest chore has been an Adventure Trek Guide for all my kids (I'm teaching 3rd grade class this year).

I finally added the finishing touch to the file on Publisher, now I just need to proof it and get it printed and ready to make copies. I plan on binding them like the MADE post from yesterday by sewing down the middle of the book. Check out the POST on how to do that here!

I would really love to have little backpacks for each of my kids to put their books and prizes and crafts in each day to take home with them...but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do that much sewing in the next week. Right now I'm working on a "lanyard" idea for there name tags...we'll see how that turns out.

Check out this Martha Stewart tutorial that I found tonight while looking for bags to make for the kids!

Martha Stewart Living, June 2007
Give an orphaned pillowcase a new home -- over your shoulder.
1. Trim 1/4 inch off the closed end, and cut the case in half on the diagonal. Turn the fabric of each of the four diagonal cut edges over by 1/4 inch, twice; pin, and hem.
2. Place one pillowcase half inside the other, lining up bottom edges; pin, and sew at front where fabrics overlap. Repeat on other side. Turn fabric inside out, and hem case's cut bottom. Trim with pinking shears. Turn case right side out, tie top ends into a knot, and you have a carefree summer bag.
==================================================================
I also found this one on making pillowcase backpacks from
 Little Birdie Secrets
Pillowcase Backpack Tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment